The Web Security Service automatically generates a proxy auto-configuration file (PAC file) that can be used as a semi-automated method of instructing browsers to use the Web Security Service. PAC files can either be configured within the browser by hand, as covered in this section, pushed out via DHCP for servers that support the “DHCPINFORM” message, or pushed out through Group Policy within Windows environments.
Obtaining the Cloud Web Security PAC file
Administrators can view the URL for their PAC file by logging into the Cloud Console and navigating to Filter Management à Web Filter à Setup à Connection Settings.
Administrators can then push out the PAC file using DHCP or users can manually enter the PAC script in their browser settings as follows:
Configuring Browsers to Use a PAC File
Internet Explorer users:
1. Within Internet Explorer, click on the Tools menu
In the LAN Settings window, tick the box next to “Use automatic configuration script”
6. Click OK to exit and save.
4. Select Automatic proxy configuration URL. Enter the PAC file URL in the blank field (See the Cloud Web Security PAC file).
5. Click OK and then reload.
This is not the case for Chrome on Mac systems, nor Chrome/Chromium on Linux systems. Configuring settings for Internet Explorer should be sufficient to force Chrome through the service as well
1. In Safari, Pull down the Safari menu and select Preferences.
2. From the Safari menu and click .
3. Under Proxies, click Change Settings.
4. For Mac OS 10.5 and under:
- For the Configure Proxies option, select Using a PAC file.
- In the PAC file URL field, enter the path to the PAC file (See the Cloud Web Security PAC file).
- c. Click Apply Now.
5. For Mac OS 10.6 and higher:
- Under Select a protocol to configure, select Automatic Proxy Configuration.
- In the Proxy Configuration File URL field, enter the path to the PAC file (See the Cloud Web Security PAC file).
- Click OK.
6. Close and restart Safari.
NoteIf you are using iSheriff Endpoint Application, it will enforce the PAC file for all browser and no need to manually configure it.